Thursday, March 8, 2012

Grace in the oddest places.

So I'm watching Castaway. The one where Tom Hanks gets stranded on a island.
There is a scene when he is sharing his inward struggle of survival on the island with his close friend after he's been saved.


" I had power over NOTHING. And
          that's when this feeling came over me--
          like a warm blanket. And I knew, not up
          here--

He means, not in his brain.

                     CHUCK (cont'd)
          --but in some deep part of me--I just
          knew--I had to stay alive. Even if I had
          no reason to hope. Even if my logic told
          me I'd never see any of this again.

"This" being the whole world he knew.

                     CHUCK (cont'd)
          And that's what I did, just kept
          breathing. 

          CHUCK (cont'd)
          That's all I did. Just stayed alive. And
          you know what? The sun came up, and the
          sun went down,
and all my logic was
          wrong. Because the tide brought me--a
          sail.
There's a sense of hope here, a hard-won knowledge at the core of
life.

                     CHUCK (cont'd)
          Because tomorrow--the sun is going to
          rise, and who knows what the tide could
          bring?

This is grace to me. Because hope, this ^ doesn't exist without God.
Without the loving God of the universe.

It also called me to remember "these" times in my life. When I was in desperation, and the warm blanket of God's hope giving love enveloped me.


4 comments:

  1. Praise God sis, this is the most awesomest (not a word) post EVER!!! I got goose bumps which only happens when the Spirit is near. I LOVE this movie. This one I've seen many many times. And I remember these lines from the movie well. I remember Tom Hanks' face as he tells his friend this. It's one of my favorite parts of the movie. This inspired me so much and gave me such hope and strength to take another step!! Thank you Monica. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Monica,
    Hi!
    Thank you so much for your comment!
    How God works!
    I had just posted that and when i sent on my email there it was!
    I was amazed!

    Thank you so much!
    I give God all of the praise!

    Blessings,
    ~Tasha Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this Monica :) Completely refreshing and much needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Katy. I'm glad it is refreshing for you. It really was for me. Because without God that line in the movie is so empty. And it just made me thank Him and filled me with joy and hope, which was God giving me grace when I needed it.

      Delete

Hi there, I hope this post in some way has blessed you. Please leave a note telling me what you think of this post. :)