Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Vanity swallows up flattery.

So, I have a confession to make in this post. This past couple weeks there has been a fellow co-worker who has been feeding me smooth words of flattery. 
 Proverbs 6&7
(I am not even attracted in any sense to this young man)
So there I am working when it hits me, "I'm feasting on this flattery with ill-intent behind it."
Immediately I sought the Lord. 

Flattery feeds the intense craving of admiration, and applause of vanity. Our appearance is temporal and fades away like the flower of the field. 
My prayer is to learn humility, which is not thinking lowly of one's self, but rather, not thinking of one's self at all.
I must continue on my quest to crucify my flesh.
Humility is a by product of a surrendered heart.
Besides anything in me worth flattering is not mine in the first place.

I can only boast at what the Lord has done.
I don't want to be needy for flattery for attention. Or addicted to myself.
The Lord needs to be my source of attention. 
Any need of validation I will go to Him with.
                 I will have my identity in Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we all like to be encouraged yet we must not think ourselves greater than anyone else. It's not easy. Thank you also for your words of wisdom you posted on my blog about the prophet Jeremiah. You have lovely blog, keep us the good work in spreading the word. God bless, Joan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sis, Hope all is progressing well for you! I've been SOOOO bogged down in school work that I barely made it this far! You're totally right (in my opinion) about humility. I've taken the road that leads to Christ and chosen Him as my husband. He fills every void and every need, however, your life has only just begun and I'm twice your age. So, it only makes sense that I would choose to be set apart unto Him. I've had my share of relationships and marriage. I'm ready for the deepest love and companionship I can find. I've only found it in Him. The Bible exhorts me to "...know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for Himself; the Lord will hear when I call unto Him." Psalm 4:3 Just ask God to bring your soul-mate. If God chooses him instead of you, you'll be in love and happy always. God knows who he is :-) Talk to ya soon. Sending up a prayer for ya.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, I hope this post in some way has blessed you. Please leave a note telling me what you think of this post. :)